KidsXpress Limited (KidsXpress) respects and is committed to protecting the privacy of the people whose personal information it collects. We [are bound by/choose to comply with] the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act).
What information do we collect?
KidsXpress collects personal information about individuals who are, or are employed by, our donors, our volunteers, schools and partner organisations, other supporters, participants at our events, consultants and service providers and referrers as well as the children (and their families) who participate in KidsXpress programs. The type of personal information KidsXpress collects can be divided into two categories.
- Client information – refer to How we manage personal client information below
How do we use personal supporter information?
We use your personal information to carry out the functions and activities of KidsXpress including to process donations and send receipts to comply with our legal obligations and to help us manage and provide our services. Unless you ask us in writing not to do so, we may also use your information to ask for your support and to keep you informed about the ways in which our donors and supporters invest in a child’s life. If you decide to support the work of KidsXpress, we may ask you for further information and contact you again about the work of our organisation. You can ask us at any time not to contact you. Occasionally we need to disclose personal information to third parties who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf.
How we manage personal client information
The Privacy Act defines personal information as information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
The types of personal information held by KidsXpress could include, but is not limited to, name, age, sex, address, contact details, background information, health information, support systems and details of family and friends, We also keep a record of all therapy session notes and any artwork or expressive content created during sessions. Our therapists safeguard the confidentiality of information obtained during their provision of therapy services in conjunction with their respective professional governing authorities’ Code of Ethics / Guidelines for Client Records*, as well as legal and organisational requirements.
Information provided by the referring agent, parent/caregiver, school or other support service about a client/family to KidsXpress is private and confidential. The information will not be disclosed to anyone, other than employees, company officers, contractors and professional advisers of KidsXpress, without (a) the express written consent of the caregiver of the referred child or (b) by law, court order, statute, regulation or order of a government authority. Further, KidsXpress reserves the right to make contact with any individual, organisation or third party not included in the referral form by way of phone / written communication relevant to eliciting information pertinent to the therapy program, safety and welfare of the child, therapists and other program participants.
Information can be given to KidsXpress by third parties or directly from the individual. Any personal or health information which is received and is not necessary for KidsXpress’ primary functions will be de-identified, discarded or kept in accordance with Australian Privacy Principles.
KidsXpress takes reasonable steps to protect personal information it holds from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of these reasonable steps include workplace policies, high level network security and governance.
Where a correction needs to be made to an individual’s personal identity, KidsXpress will take reasonable steps to correct the personal information to ensure that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
Access and accuracy of your personal information
KidsXpress will endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you become aware of any inaccuracy in the personal information we hold about you, we encourage you to contact us so we can update any personal information we hold about you.
Individuals may at any time request access to, or correction of, the personal information KidsXpress holds.
However, we ask that clients and referrers of KidsXpress submit a written request for personal information. Our contact details are set out below.
KidsXpress will aim to provide this information within 30 days of receiving a written notice unless:
- the request is made vexatiously
- KidsXpress feels that the release of the information would be harmful to the individual or to the public
- releasing the information would give impact on the privacy of others
- it would be unlawful
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between KidsXpress and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings
KidsXpress will also refuse the release of personal information if:
- the request would reveal the intentions of KidsXpress in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- KidsXpress has reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to KidsXpress functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in and giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter; or
- giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body or if giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within KidsXpress in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.
Where it is lawful and practicable, we will allow individuals to deal with us on an anonymous basis. For example, if we receive a telephone enquiry we will not require that the enquirer gives us their name, although depending on the nature of the enquiry, we may not be able to answer it unless they do. We can also accept gifts and other forms of support anonymously. However, provisions contained in taxation legislation require KidsXpress to collect the name of the donor if the donor requires a tax-deductible receipt.
Acceptance of terms
If you have any questions about privacy-related issues or you wish to lodge a complaint about a breach of this policy or other privacy matter, you can contact us at:
Level 2, 50 Waterloo Road
Macquarie Park NSW 2113
p: (02) 9380 9220
- Australian Music Therapy Association (AMTA): Code of Ethics
- Australia, New Zealand & Asia Creative Arts Therapies Association (ANZACATA): Code of Ethics
- Psychotherapy & Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA): Guidelines for Client Records